The House Flip on Walnut Street: Episode 8

frugalhomediy April 23, 2012 0

After the Basement was finished I started working on the second floor. I wanted new electrical wiring so I ran a new feed wire up into the attic through a wall switch. This new electrical feed allowed me to completely rewire the second floor. I had to knock out some plaster to get this done. Also, I cut out some of the old wiring just like I did in the basement. The wiring was strung all over the place so it was hard to determine what I needed to keep. I used a non-contact voltage detector pen to make sure every wire was dead before I cut. A voltage detector pen has an indicator light that glows when voltage exists. It’s a very handy tool to have when working with electricity because all you have to do is hold it near a wire (making no contact) to tell if it has AC electricity running through it. As a side note, always take precautions when working with electricity. If you’re not sure what you’re doing it’s best to hire a professional.

Here is where I ran the feed…

I had to punch numerous holes in the plaster and cut access holes to other attic spaces to run all the new electrical wiring. I plan to hang drywall directly over the plaster so these holes will be covered. However, the plaster was very loose so I decided to screw furring strips over the old plaster to hold it in place. These strips will also make hanging drywall easier.

Here are the attic access holes I cut in the plaster…

Here is one of the crawlspaces I had to work in.  This was after I was done…

Here are the walls with the furring strips…

While working in the attic I ran into a “friend” that was trying to hibernate for the winter. While working on the electrical wiring I heard a high pitch growl followed by a weird chattering sound. I looked over and about a foot and a half to my left I saw a bat crawling away from me on top of the insulation. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. I quickly grabbed a head lamp, heavy duty gloves, and a box to trap it in. However, when I went back in the bat was nowhere to be found so I went about my business and just kept my eyes peeled. I’ll have more on this later.

After I had all the electrical wiring done I insulated all the walls inside the crawl space with fiberglass. I also stuffed all the openings in the ceiling cavities with fiberglass so cellulose could be blown in later. While insulating I decided to tear down the plaster on the ceiling of the dormer and the dividing wall between the bedrooms. I then covered the ceiling of the dormer with plywood to make it easier to hang drywall.

This is the ceiling of the dormer once insulated…

This is the ceiling of the dormer once done…

Next, I decided to fix the floor. I removed numerous loose and uneven floorboards and placed shims on the floor joists where these boards were. I then covered the whole surface with 7/16th inch OSB plywood. This took most of the unevenness out of the floor and made it look way better. I also framed in a closet in the front bedroom so it can be counted as an official bedroom when I sell.

Here’s the closet I framed in…

Lastly, there was no air duct to the second floor, so I cut a hole by the chimney and ran a flexible duct up to the second floor. I then made it so the air could flow into both rooms. All of this took me about a month to accomplish while doing most of the work on weekends.

Here is the air duct I ran to the second floor…

Leave A Response »